American Queso Dip
- 1 1/4 lb White or Yellow American Cheese (cubed or singles)
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 can Ro-tel drained (try fire roasted or your favorite variety)
- One & Done to taste
- Tortilla chips
This recipe is like the queso you will find at your local Mexican restaurants. It stays creamy even at room temperature, but may appear thinner when it's warm.
Trying to melt real cheese and not have it become stringy/grainy is a real challenge! I finally found success with Land O'Lakes American Deli Cheese, white or yellow, located in the deli section at your local grocer. You can also use Velveeta cheese if you prefer, but it will not be restaurant quality.
1. Stir together, cheese cubes, milk and water in a large microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high heat, stirring every 30-60 seconds until it's completely melted and creamy. Remove from microwave, add Ro-tel & One & Done. Simply adjust the amount of One & Done to your preference. Start off with 1/4 or 1/2 tsp and keep adding until it's perfect. You can also try adding cooked sausage for a bolder, richer flavor.
2. Serve immediately as a dip or as a sauce on your favorite Mexican dish. You can serve warm or at room temperature. You can also heat it up using a crock pot instead of a microwave. Then turn it to a warm setting and serve from it.
3. Store leftovers in the fridge and simply reheat in the microwave, stirring until it's hot and creamy.